Just Say Know

Posted by on April 30, 2013

I was watching some silly movie the other night where Jim Carrey’s character takes a self-help course where you are are supposed to say yes to anything anyone requests of you. Of course, this leads to all sorts of comedic shenanigans and the hijinks ensue.

But I was thinking that rather than saying “yes” to everything, I should take a page from my kids’ books and just say “I don’t know” to everything. It seems to work really well for them and absolves them from responsibility for, well, just about everything.

Me: Where are your shoes?

Child: Ummmm I don’t know

Me: Where are my good scissors that I let you use the other day?

Child: Ummmm I don’t know.

Me: Do you need to do this worksheet I found in your backpack?

Child: Ummmm I don’t know.

Me: Why on earth did you (insert undesirable behavior here)?

Child: Ummmm I don’t know.

I think you get the general idea. Since they don’t know anything, they are OFF. THE. HOOK. I find out about the worksheet and eventually locate the scissors and unearth the shoes and come up with some explanation for the undesirable behavior.

But what if *I* was the one answering “I don’t know” all the time?

Child: Mom, what’s for dinner?

Me: I don’t know  (I no longer need to think about dinner…I WIN!)

Child: Mom, where my sneakers?

Me: I don’t know (I no longer have to hunt for shoes…YAY!)

Child: Mom, can I get a (insert toy, gadget, clothing item)?

Me: I don’t know (I don’t even have to come up with a reason for saying no!!!)

Child: Hey Mom, are we going to Disney World this summer?

Me: I don’t know  (I can put off planning a summer vacation!!!)

Child: Mom, can you drive me to (insert location)?

Me: I don’t know (I never have to drive anyone anywhere ever again unless I feel like it…WOOO!!!)

Child: Mom, can I (insert anything that doesn’t involve bodily harm or the police)?

Me: I don’t know (I don’t even have to THINK! This is SO awesome.)

Child: But whyyyyy can’t I stay up later tonight?

Me: I don’t know (This is what WINNING really looks like!)

So, there’s the plan…

I might market it as an e-book to start and then parlay it into a vast self-help empire where I teach people of the joys of… (say it with me!)  I DON’T KNOW!!!!

• Apryl says:

I’m in.

• Trevor says:

If you want a great read, I’d thoroughly recommend Danny Wallace’s book Yes Man on which the film was based. It’s a true story, told brilliantly, and massively overdramatised in the film. In the book there’s no big ‘cult’: he starts saying yes based on the suggestion of a stranger on a bus, and the process genuinely changes his life in just about the best way possible. Lovely.

I thought the movie was pretty funny, although it reminded me a little of that other Jim Carrey movie where he can’t tell lies. I’m always looking for something new to read so thanks for the suggestion.

• Nicole says:

Count me in too, I’ve already started the “I don’t know” with all sports gear. For some reason when anyone asks my husband where something is, he either says where it is or “I don’t know” – whereas I used to scour the house, ranting about closets and messes :) I swear if you watch parts of Mr. Poppers Penguins, Yes Man or the Lying one, you can’t tell the difference, although they are all funny :)

• This is a pet peeve of mine. My mom would never let me get away with saying “I don’t know” since my youngest half-sister wore that phrase out. The funny thing is now that my mom’s got dementia, she answers “I don’t know” to almost everything. It’s so annoying! I think you should definitely try it out on your kids until they tell you to stop and then you can make a pact with them that you won’t do it again if they won’t do it again! ;-)

• Gretchen says:

I think you are definitely onto something. And I’m going to try it out this afternoon when I pick my son up from school!

• Liz says:

I don’t know is our 5th child ;)

• Thank for an informative post. I’m really interested in healthy living and othet activities.

• Your writting is really very good. Blog is fully stuffed with unique and good information. Good keep it up.

• kuba says:

that movie is great for the soundtrack (mostly Eels tunes) alone…..

Hey! It’s been a while. How are you doing?

• kuba says:

it has been awhile, surprised you remember me…. pretty much doing the same things I was then, working and going to concerts….. I hope you’re well despite the bad news I was greeted with, with regards to your last post, when checking back in yesterday….. I lost contact when I changed computers a couple years ago…. tried to reconstruct my bookmarks as best I could, but obviously missed a few….. then yesterday, a FB friend of mine “liked” a post by “single dad laughing” (I think he used to post here), which got me thinking of you and your blog, and here I am…. :-)