Dear Facebook, We Need to Talk

Posted by on July 19, 2011

Hi Facebook.

Can we talk? Because I need to tell you something.

I don’t know how to say this so I’m just going to say it.

I’ve been seeing someone else.

No, not Twitter. Well, yes Twitter but no… It’s Google+.

G+ helps me connect with friends in ways you can’t and makes me happy in ways that you just don’t anymore.

G+ also appears to respect my privacy, lets me download all my info if I so desire and even asks for my feedback on how to improve.

You and I haven’t been like that for a long time.

I don’t want to break up exactly. I was kind of thinking more of an open relationship where I can see other social networks without you giving me a hard time. I mean look how many people YOU see—millions. Maybe even billions. How do I know what you do with them all day when I’m not around?

Stop smirking—I’m so NOT jealous. I was trying to illustrate a point.

All I’m asking is for you to give me the space and freedom I need. If you’re really meant for me, I’ll come back to you and you alone, okay?

Are you even listening to me?

*sigh*

Why don’t you message me when you’re ready to talk. You know where I’ll be.

• Trav1sty says:

I feel the exact same way. I have love me some G+. Hard. Twitter is even taking a back seat.

• Christina says:

I totally agree with you. I’m loving G+ more than I ever thought I could love a social network right now.

Being able to filter all of the people I know via circles is just brilliant – my local friends don’t have to deal with all of my “blog talk” and I can occasionally rant about family or work without them seeing it. (Well, I will. I want to make sure G+ is absolutely bug-free before taking it to that level. Would hate for a slip-up in the programming where all of my circles could see everything and I’m left with some explaining to do.)

Best of all: my backwoods high school classmates haven’t found me on G+ yet. :)

I know what you mean. There are lots of people I hope never find me there.

FB has similar settings where you can block people from your wall and other stuff but it’s just so damn hard.

G+’s circles are so easy and as far as I can tell, they work like they’re supposed to which means when your backwoods HS friends do find you, you can just file them away in their own circle and let them think you never post anything lol

• I have nothing but love for G+ and its features. Have had great fun using the Hangout to catch up with friends.

• I found this post via G+. I still love Twitter and Facebook though!

LOL see? G+ treats me right :)

But I will always love Twitter and will probably keep FB around unless it just becomes embarrassing like Mypace (of which I’d never had an account until recently when I needed one to leave a message for some woman would blatantly stole one of my old blog posts and put her name on it. She has yet to respond!)

• Jared Karol says:

I think you captured it pretty well, now if I (we) can just break our addiction (like by “liking” this post). . . hehe!

• Theresa says:

Google+ is playing hard to get. Can you talk to it for me please??

• Monica says:

I am so intrigued! G+ has me on a waiting list.

• zimba uy says:

I want to try G+. All of the people in my country are crazy about facebook. I think G+ is also cool.

• Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you really realize what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also consult with my web site =). We can have a link change agreement between us

• car2ner says:

tee hee, you got 15 G+ pluses and 15 facebook likes.

• mobile games says:

Great site. Lots of useful information here. I am sending it to some friends ans also sharing in
    delicious. And of course, thanks on your effort!