Dear Universe, You Totally Win

Posted by on July 28, 2010

Are you SURE about that?

So…my son didn’t get into the same school my daughter goes to. When we got her in there four years ago, the rule was that if one sibling was admitted, younger siblings would be admitted, too. Unfortunately, that rule has changed (due to class size amendments) so now I have two kids at two different schools.

My son will never have the experience of going to school with his sister. I know it’s silly but this upsets me—I was always envious of the kids that had brothers and/or sisters in the same school and I was excited that mine would be together for two years. My hopes and dreams? DASHED.

I try not to dwell on the negative aspects of life too much but recently, I feel like the universe and I are at odds; like I’m running into roadblocks at every turn—nothing is going the way I want it to and everything is a challenge, as evidenced by my crying big, fat, stupid tears of frustration yesterday at my son’s school while trying to get him registered.

Note to nice school office personnel: I swear I’m not unstable or crazy. Ahem. I’m just incredibly frustrated with our health insurance, our kids’ new pediatricians, the health department’s infinite loop phone system and my new eyeglasses, which make my eyes ache constantly thanks to a heaping helping of astigmatism correction. And that’s the super short list...

Generally speaking, I believe that going with the flow of life is the thing to do; that you should carefully pick the things you want to fight against and accept the rest because there just isn’t enough energy in the world to take on every damn thing.

But lately, I have a lot of things I can’t just throw to the wind, they need to be dealt with and they really need to go a certain way. It’s been exhausting and challenging, to say the least. I don’t know how people live like this all the time.

I’m trying really hard to change my attitude, to get back to where I was, but being positive actually takes a certain amount of purposeful thinking and action and I just don’t have it in me right now. Maybe going to Blogher next week will help with that…a change of scenery, a change of pace and for all intents and purposes, a vacation in my favorite city. Crossing my fingers. And toes.

• Alissa says:

What a bummer about your kids being at different schools.

Here’s to something truly magical turning everything around tomorrow.

Feast or famine. That stupid cliche was invented for a reason. Grrrr. This will pass, you will adjust, and maybe things will change despite the new rules. *crosses fingers* Have fun at Blogher!

• katie says:

You are going to be in New York too? Wow. I hope to see you there.

And yes, when it rains, it pours and I wish I could do something to help. Why don’t we get together in NYC and try to kick it. (Wish Apryl’s Antics could be there too)
    .-= katie’s last blog post…What Is It No Really- What Is It =-.

• mamatulip says:

Ugh. I’m sorry about the school situation – I know how much you wanted your kids at the same school. And I GET that. I would be quite upset too, if I were you.

Have a BLAST at BH!!
    .-= mamatulip’s last blog post…the barn =-.

• Hmmmm…positivity gone? This sounds so familiar.

I hope things get better and I hope BlogHer is a blast for you!

• Nicole says:

I don’t know if it’s any comfort, but my little sister HATED when her teachers knew me from when I was in class. She said they were always comparing her.

I hope things look up for you soon.
    .-= Nicole’s last blog post…I- sorceress =-.

• patois says:

I’m sorry. It sounds like not only is it a disappointment, but an added hassle on top. As in, school pick-up and drop-off at colliding times. Stupid universe.
    .-= patois’s last blog post…Play Patty for the Patsy =-.

I’ve been doing the same time school pick up at two different schools for the past two years (pre-school for my son) and it totally SUCKS as does going to two different PTA meetings (I quit that almost immediately) and getting hit with dueling fundraisers.

• JenGid says:

I would be devastated too and those tears were completely justified.

• Stacie says:

Love this post and just sent it to a friend who will totally relate. Seems like it was written for what she just went through!

• Lisa Stone says:

Izzy, I cannot wait to give you the world’s biggest hug at BlogHer. My children have never all been at the same school. And as someone who was one of four children who hit the same mediocre public schools in six years growing up? I miss it. I mourn it. Hating the same mustachioed secretary lady and crushing the same basketball coach are a family tradition for me.

The good news, which I hope helps? My kids are making family traditions of their own together while getting to explore elements of their personalities and interests that would never be possible if they were forced into roles as part of a dynasty. Can you be the artsy one AND the coordinated one? Why yes, if you are being forced into little Stone family boxes by the teachers. Opening my eyes, I must say.

xo Lisa
    .-= Lisa Stone’s last blog post…Why Is It Harder To Lose Weight As We Get Older =-.

Hating the same mustachioed secretary lady YES..it’s totally stuff like that that I was looking forward to but you make some really good points about not being pigeonholed or compared.

Looking forward to saying HI in person in two days!

• **hugs**

That really does suck for many reasons.

Have a wonderful time at BlogHer. One of my best memories was of the few minutes you and I spoke after the Room of Your Own session you did.
    .-= Kristine (Mommy Needs Therapy)’s last blog post…The Incredible Yankable Chin Hair =-.

I totally remember meeting you! You’re not going? Awww boo! Now I have to click on your link to a post about a chin hair. Not that I have any or anything. Ahem.