Social Networking Shame

Posted by on July 13, 2010

facebook_iconSocial networking… Every day is like a mini class reunion—so much fun and yet so much potential for shame.

Yeah, it recently occurred to me that when I meet up with old friends on Facebook I’m kind of embarrassed about never having left the town in which I went to college.

I might as well just put “Hi! I just stayed here f*cking marinating in this place while the rest of you went uh…wherever it is that you went and led what appear to be vastly more interesting lives. So how have you been?” in my bio and be done with it.

I didn’t join the freaking Peace Corp. I didn’t go backpacking across Thailand. I didn’t get my PhD or even my masters. I didn’t intern in Washington. I didn’t set up a charity to help build a school for deaf Albanian orphans. I didn’t travel the world as a photojournalist for a major media outlet.

I got a degree. Didn’t work in my field. Got married. Had a couple jobs that inspired homicidal fantasies on a frighteningly regular basis. Got pregnant. Quit working. Did a preschool co-op for a while. Founded a Moms Club chapter (that alone is reason for shame), had another baby, started blogging…and the rest is, as they say, history.

*gently smacks you*

Wake up!!! I know my life is boring and all but you don’t need to rub it in by snoring in the middle of my shamefest!

• WaltzInExile says:

I was going to say I totally get this, but I decided to say this instead:
    PFFFFFT.

Screw that nonsense. You’re awesome.
    .-= WaltzInExile’s last blog post…PSA 2 =-.

• Trav1sty says:

This is one of those situations where I’ve found that overstating the simplest task in a complicated manor works in your favour.

Had a couple jobs that inspired homicidal fantasies on a frighteningly regular basis = Employment diversification in interpersonal retaionships focsusing on conceptual strategies.

The plan is to leave them blinking and move on while they’re still confused. I know, total Genius.

• I used to be ashamed about being a SAHM, even WITH an advanced college degree. I got over that when I realized many of my peers would kill to live the life I do and when I realized that the most important thing I’ll ever do is be a mom to my kids. So what if I don’t live in the Middle East, Hawaii, New Zealand, or England like some of my fellow HS alum? I’m living a good life, and I’m glad to be living it. Everyone else who thinks I didn’t accomplish something can kiss my big fat butt. ;P
    .-= Desert Songbird’s last blog post…Thanks- Food Network- =-.

• Amanda says:

Ain’t no shame, ain’t never no shame.

Because really, Facebook profiles are the new driver’s license weight. Make up the blank, no?
    .-= Amanda’s last blog post…Delicate =-.

• Kami says:

I hate Facebook.
    .-= Kami’s last blog post…Further Proof like I needed it That God Hates Me =-.

• JayMonster says:

Have you ever seen Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion? All the “interesting people” are the one’s, as it turns out, you really don’t want to be anyway.

Be who you are (after all, there are a lot of us that like you that way), and be proud of it. So what if you didn’t do some of those other things. I guarantee you there is something, that each and every one of them missed out on… nobody gets to “have it all” and everybody misses out of something or other. In the end, as long as you are happy who you are… you are probably in better shape than most of them.

I stressed about it once upon a time as well. Worrying about running into people from groups I didn’t fit into, worrying about old ex girlfriends and those that rejected me in High School in one way or another.

Now, I just look and enjoy myself. I look at those ex girlfriends and those that rejected me and laugh. “You turned me down, and wound up with THAT?” (I think to myself). I’m proud of what I do have… and you should be too. Because stop and think for a moment… if you lost everything you had tomorrow… how upset would you be? Pretty damn upset right? So, it is something of value. You are. And I (and I am sure others) wouldn’t want that any other way.
    .-= JayMonster’s last blog post…The Bears- the Pitch and the Foul Ball =-.

I ‘friended’ a girl on FB I went to HS with. She seemed to have it all together and then a year ago, on FB, I learned she committed suicide. From her status updates, I never would have guessed she was in that head space. It was a total surprise. It just goes to show you that most of us put our best selves forward–aside from a little complaining here and there–on social media sites.

• Jack says:

Part of the beauty of blogging is that you can create a whole new persona/life for yourself. Who says it all has to be real.

At my reunion I had a field day making up crazy stories about things I had done.

It was fun to see how long it took people to start asking what it was like to climb K2 or to live in Nepal.
    .-= Jack’s last blog post…Festival of Fathers- A Blog Experience 18 =-.

• roo says:

I’ve never backpacked anywhere, and I don’t feel the least bit ashamed of it. But then, I have plenteous sources for shame, so I guess I don’t need that one.

I think you’re tops, and if you hadn’t stayed, had kids, and become a blogger I never would have known you. So I’m grateful. Screw the rest of them– they don’t know what they missed.

• That’s why I don’t Facebook.