Identity Crisis

Posted by on June 11, 2010

I’ve had many identity crises in my life. The worst was when I became a mom. I just didn’t know who I was anymore and it took a good long time to settle into this mom role. Eventually I sorted it all out. I know who I am. I don’t need my name sewed into my underwear. Nope.

But I don’t think I want to be IzzyMom anymore.

Is that weird?

I feel hemmed in by it. I feel stifled and just, I don’t know…

Anyway, not sure what to do about this, if anything. I tried a couple years ago to transition to The Caffeinatrix when I was tired of being a mommyblogger but then I realized there is value tied to this name. People know it. It’s heavily linked (only because I’ve been blogging since late 2005, not because I’m completely awesome. No. I’m really only a little awesome).

So yeah, there’s also what one of the bazillions of social media experts on Twitter would call “brand recognition” and when I kind of impulsively jumped ship here to start The Caffeinatrix, someone at a conference asked me point blank why I was abandoning my “brand” that I’d worked so hard to build (I did?) and then I kind of freaked and was all  “Nooo…I want back in! I want my mommyblog back!” mostly because it felt safe and comfy and familiar.

But you know, I don’t write about being a mom all that much, or my kids really at all. What business do I have even having the word “mom” in my name?

Like my before-babies clothes, it just doesn’t fit anymore. But if I leave again, will I be able to come back when I panic and need my mommyblog woobie?

Will anybody even care if I move again?

Would I even care if they didn’t?

Do I even need a personal blog?

Do I even like blogging anymore?

I do have things to say. I just feel like none of it fits in this space anymore.

And the most important question of all, because I’m all about the depth, folks…

WHAT WOULD I CALL IT???

• Busy Mom says:

Why not try out whatever you want to write here and see how it goes? Who says it has to be about kids all the time because “mom” is in the name?

You’ve got a place here, it’s already decorated and stuff and in a good location, use it!

That’s my 2 cents, but then again I can be lazy.

• Anissa says:

you’ve talked of getting rid of izzymom for a long time now. if that doesn’t fit you anymore I vote for something that is YOU…like capes.
    .-= Anissa’s last blog post…i got the best kind of people you can hope to find =-.

• Becky says:

For me, the name of a blog can be funny enough to make me want to check it out, or a cute play on words, but otherwise is completely irrelevant. Were you to start writing about alchemy or food or home renovation, if the writing and the topic interested me, the name would make no difference. I say don’t let the name of your blog define your blog, let you writing define you blog.
    .-= Becky’s last blog post…Update in pictures =-.

• Becky says:

*your* writing define *your* blog. Sheesh. I hate to think about what that comment says about me!
    .-= Becky’s last blog post…Update in pictures =-.

• Headless Mom says:

I think we come here to read what YOU have to say, regardless of the Mom part, anyway. No need to change or move! Say it, Lady!

• Trav1sty says:

I agree with Headless Mom. We come here for You. Because you’re more then “only a little awesome.”

• roo says:

I followed you to the Caffeinatrix, and I’d follow you to a new blog, too, because I think that you’re more than just a little awesome.
    .-= roo’s last blog post…You and I will make each night a first… =-.

• the other elle says:

I’m with roo. I followed you to the Caffeinatrix and then followed you back here to IzzyMom. This name is easier to pronounce! (My daughter used to ask, “Mom, are you reading that ‘Coffee Tricks’ again?”)

We’ll be with you no matter what you decide.

• Diana says:

I ditched the Mom blog a while back too. I haven’t gone back to it, but it’s still there in case I want to. I think about it sometimes. I would be lying if I pretended otherwise. But the new place is more me, even if no one recognizes it like they did the old place. And for some reason when I want to write about the kids occasionally on my personal blog it feels okay, when I wanted to write personal stuff on the mom blog for whatever reason it didn’t. That makes the biggest difference to me.

I say the name of the blog doesn’t have to dictate what you write, but if you want to give IzzyMom the ax, go for it. You’ve got name recognition beyond “Izzy” and the writing skills to bring the readers with you wherever you go.
    .-= Diana’s last blog post…‘My Least Favorite Part of the Job’ via OOH =-.

• kuba says:

I dunno….. I don’t particularly think that “Izzymom” is an albatross around your neck, but then again, I’m not you…… even though it’s got “mom” in the name, at this point, it’s really just a name, not a description or definition of you….. that being said, when it comes down to it, ya gotta do what makes YOU happy….. of course, if you do change your name, ya also gotta let us know where to find you…. :-)
    .-= kuba’s last blog post…Pete Townshend @ Sears Centre, Hoffman Estates IL March 5, 2007 =-.

I’m your BFF. I’d follow you anywhere. Here’s my two copper Abe’s: You are a mom and you started writing after you became a mom. It’s a big part of you and well, it just is. Everything you think, do, feel is always going to be related to that from here to eternity. I’m not saying you have to keep the name. I’m just suggesting that you shouldn’t worry that it pigeon-hole’s you into just talking about mom stuff. I do understand your dilemma, though. I’m no help. Bah.

• Yeah. I know. I can dig it. Only, dude, I’ve got teh bipolar blogging cancer far worse than you do. I’ve damaged myself so much there isn’t any going back.

I suggest you sit with whatever thing you feel most right about for a little while before jumping off and then regretting it later. I’m talking from a deep fund of wisdom on this particular subject.

p.s. I love you. Izzymom, Janet, TheCaffeinatrix, whatever you want to go by. I love the you inside all of those identities. Alter-egos. Hwhatever Hever. I love the *you*.

xoxoxo

• Karla Ceballos says:

this is my first time to see your blog cuz i googled Identity Crisis, I didnt pay attention to “izzymom until you mentioned it.
    I think its great. or if you really want to, combining izzy the caffeinatrix, hehe!

• thelorik says:

Loosing identity is hard. I lost my identity few years ago. One moment I knew who I was, but in a next moment the strange thing happened: the person who I thought I was litterally flew out of my body and never came back. I was shocked and confused, but I remain completely empty to this day. So what? Life is more simple. You don’t need lables, Izzy. Just write from your heart. I never even read your blog. I stumled upon it just now. I don’t care what words you use, it is beautiful You, who shines through them, touched me.