Braggity McBraggerson Here

Posted by on May 6, 2009

Yesterday my son’s teacher told me that they have a new girl in his class. She just turned three and is in a class of mostly boys. The teacher said she had looked so sad all morning and nothing they said or did seemed to make any difference.

That is until my son, who is not even 4 yet, went up to her, took her by the hand and said “Hi, my name is P” and then proceeded to walk her out to the playground, still holding her hand, showing her everything and encouraging her to play.

This brought tears to my eyes. I literally cried when the teacher told me this because while my son is sweeter than sugar, he’s also very reserved with strangers.

The idea that he would step out of his comfort zone and TALK to a strange child is huge. He is, after all, in a preschool program for kids with speech delays.

That he would extend himself in such an empathetic and kindhearted way, well, it’s the sort of thing a mother always hopes to hear about her child.

Even though I’m pretty sure I can’t take credit for his display of total awesomeness, I can’t help but to feel SO proud of my little boy :)

• jen says:

what a sweetheart – I hope my little boy comes out that sweet!

• Maya says:

aww- I love this story! It reminds me of when i was in the second grade, and there was a new girl in class who was crying bec she was skipped a grade and didnt have any friends. I went up to her, told her not to cry, and told her I would be her friend. Until this day, she is one of my closest friends!
    Good job mom!

Awww…I was too shy to ever do anything like that when I was young. Actually, I could have used someone like you when *I* was the new kid. You were trĂ©s awesome to do that and it’s so cool that you and she are still friends! My best friend was my arch enemy in second grade lol

PS: my son’s a Gemini, too :)

• I would feel super proud too. Those are some serious social skills for not even 4.

• harmzie says:

That’s an awesome story. Totally earned the “Braggity McBraggerson”.

That’s not even my kid and I’m sitting here in my office trying not to be that freaky lady who sits and her computer & cries. So far so good, but I have to navigate away to some LOLkatz soon!

• tara says:

totally brag-worthy and super-the-sweetest!

(is this a gemini trait? i’m either having a taurus or a gemini boy, the labor clock is ticking … )

• Sure you can take some credit! You must have modeled empathetic behavior to your son at some point in time; he’s showing that he’s a quick learner as well as possessing of a tender heart.

• SciFi Dad says:

I would totally brag about that. You cannot teach those kinds of skills… kids either have them or they don’t.

• Shash says:

How awesome is THAT?!? So proud of your little guy – and you too!!! Love that little guy!

• Laurie says:

Love this story! (And I laughed at the title — I can relate.) But this story is definitely one worth bragging about! It really puts things into perspective, doesn’t it, about what we want from and for our kids? We don’t care nearly as much about good grades, good motor skills, stunning vocabulary as we think we do … instead, our lips quiver at the idea that our kids are good FRIENDS, and good people. Bravo!

• cagey says:

This is not bragging. This is SHARING and personally, I love this story!

My 3 year old son is a sweetie, a softie and is usually at the ready to comfort his little sister when she needs it.

I hate the stereotype that all boys are rough. Bah.

• That’s really awesome. I don’t know many adults that would take that sort of initiative. You have every right to be one proud mama!

• Aprylsantics says:

Cool! And we were arch enemies because we are so much alike!