For My Baby Boy

Posted by on April 20, 2009

I actually gathered all the photos to make this video of my son about two years ago. I tried unsuccessfully to make it in iMovie but frustrated and supremely annoyed, I quit and for two years the pictures sat in a folder on my desktop.

I wanted to make this little movie because somewhere, deep down inside, I feel like my son has gotten the short end of the stick. Not being our firstborn, the fanfare for baby number two, (from the rest of the world—not us!) was remarkably subdued and pretty damn underwhelming. His first birthday party (I bitch about it here) was such a pathetic non-event that I didn’t even bother putting any pics from it in the video. And yes, I’m still holding a grudge on that one.

Hell, even his own grandmother hasn’t bothered to see him (or his sister) in two years (her choice — I invite her all the time and have even resorted to guilt tripping. No dice). Anyway, I always wanted to make this for him so he would know he’s just as special and awesomely awesome as his sister.

But what really spurred me along was watching Heather’s video of her little Maddie, a precious little girl who left this world too soon. I was also nudged by my own words here—you never know what tomorrow will bring—I could get hit by a bus and I would have wanted the videos I intended to make for both my beloved children to have been done, so they would watch them and know that they were loved and cherished by me.

So here is the first one—my son from 6 months to 2 years. My baby. My heart….

(I apologize for all the obnoxious transitions. Animoto does those automatically. Not a fan.)

• Mayopie says:

Normally I try to say something funny but all I can think is “adorable” and it sucks. (Awesome video, btw!)

• ali says:

gah. cute little baby tushy!

(my god, i hope that didn’t sound creepy., ahahah)

• MelissaQ says:

This is so sweet. Your children are obviously LOVED and cherished. My mother in law hasnt seen my two daughters in about 2 years. We had a falling out and things ended badly. Its a shame though. I think all children should know their grandparents if they are alive.
    Take care and good job on the VId

• Like you, my daughter was the first born. She was always my buddy, my tagalong, my by-the-book good child. My son is my love bug. He and I have a very special relationship. I hope we always do.

• Lauren says:

Hehe, he’s going to kill you for all of the baby butt shots when he’s fifteen. :)

• Love those photos and the reasoning behind it.

And, I think we share the same grandparent. I’ve stopped asking. Depresses me too much.

• Aprylsantics says:

Soooo cute!

I’ll trade ya. I’d rather not be having the VISIT this weekend. But, it’s selfish. The kids really do like it when they come. Me? Right now I’m a few minutes shy of babbling in the corner.

• Hugh Weber says:

I’m sorry to barge on into your web community and just start talking, but I’m on a mission to give my wife, Amy, an amazing Mother’s Day gift.

You can watch the video here: http://www.theboobfund.com

My mother-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer while pregnant with my wife and chose to have the baby rather than start chemo. She died one year later, the day after Mother’s Day.

This Mother’s Day will be my wife’s first (my daughter is 5 weeks old!) and I want to honor Amy’s mom. Just watch the video and spread it around. If you can’t give to the cause, I just want as many people as possible to hear her story!

Thanks for the help!