Sex Offenders: Let Them Rot

Posted by on April 3, 2009

Apparently, the Supreme Court has blocked the release of 77 sex offenders who have served their federal sentences after the Obama administration claimed many of them remain “sexually dangerous.” The primary  issue is whether the government has the power to indefinitely detain prisoners who have served their sentences but could pose a public threat if they were released.You can read the details here.

Frankly, I don’t give a crap if they never get out of prison and I don’t care one bit if it’s unconstitutional. Victims of sex offenders are serving a life sentence, too. The only difference is that they aren’t getting free room and board funded by my tax dollars.

It’s a known fact that sexual predators are FOUR times more likely to sexually re-offend than other types of criminals and offenders themselves have admitted, on the record, that they don’t believe they can be rehabilitated.

In one recent case, a 13 year old girl was raped, beaten and stabbed to death just blocks from her house by a convicted sexual offender who was still on probation and wearing a court-ordered monitoring device. He was registered as a Level 3 sex offender, the category considered most likely to re-offend and had only been out of jail for SEVEN weeks before he took a little girl’s life.

How many people, how many children, have to be victimized by repeat offenders before our lawmakers see the light? I personally think dumping them all on an island in the middle of shark-infested waters is the way to go.

• Mel says:

I’m with you. They are far to easy on these types of people. But what can we expect when the cops are even in on bad stuff like gangstalking, etc. Maybe shove them out of the plane on the way to the island in the shark-infested water right into the water and skip the island altogether. My daughter was molested and the cops and attorneys and judge all stuck up for him and pretty much told us where we could go. The system is no good.

• Randy in Boise, Idaho, USA says:

I find it interesting that people state things as facts that are so far off that they increase their own hatred for something within their own mind. By focusing on the few on the registry they ignore the vast majority of family and freinds that really molest. Don’t put blinders on out of some form of mental hatred and lock the door with the next molestor still in your home, because over 90% of molesting is done by family or family friends. The world isn’t what you think it is, so put that illness to bed and start thinking about family and friends that are doing 90% of the molestings. Also keep in mind that over 50% of siblings do things to each other, and 22% of pediatricians are molesting in their offices every day sometimes right in front of a parent with excessive examinations. And also consider that when someone complains that much, why are they trying to distract from their own actions . . . doth protest too much my friend….

To the contrary, I think *you* are one who is protesting just a bit too much. As for the molester next door to me? He’s gone now and I couldn’t be happier.

Furthermore, I don’t think anyone ever said a molester couldn’t be a friend or family member. It could be anyone. I fail to see how that changes the fact that they are not fit for society.

And if you think I am protesting scumbags being let out of jail because of some wrongdoing on *my* part, that tells me an awful lot about what you really are and where your head is at.

I’m a mother and if a piece of shit like you ever tried to touch my kids, I would rip your throat open and let you bleed to death at my feet without a single nanosecond of remorse.

• Kelly says:

So Randy, you’re saying not embracing rapists and other sexual predators constitutes some kind of unwarranted mental hatred and if someone thinks they should stay in jail, then it’s because of their trying to “distract from their own actions”?

You’re out of your fucking mind, dude.

• Aprylsantics says:

Your babysitter really fucked you up and should be tortured beyond recognition. You don’t even make sense.

• Matthew says:

Randy, I think you might have some issues you still need to work through. Rather than attack someone on their blog, how about seeking help for yourself.

This might be a good place to start:

• Cara says:

I both agree and disagree with you. I think people who commit sex offenses should be locked up and throw away the key. Rapes and child molestation should be treated with extreme prejudice. I would be totally fine if they were all dumped on a deserted island together. However, the idea that we can indefinitely detain someone past the term of their sentence is scary to me. This just feels too arbitrary. Who decides who stays in jail and who gets out? It’s sex offenders now, but what class of crime falls into the “too dangerous to run free” category tomorrow? Wasn’t this exactly the sort of thing we fought against at Guantanamo?

And Randy is a nutcase. Where the honk did s/he get their statistics? 22% of peds are molesting their patients? Insane.

• Izzy says:

I agree that detaining someone beyond their sentence is unconstitutional and in a court of law, it would probably never hold up (even though, somewhat unbelievably, it was already passed as the Adam Walsh Child Protection Act). It’s more of an emotional statement on my part than a legal or constitutional one. I’m pretty sure that any parent whose child was a sexual abuse victim would say the same if they knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that their child’s rapist/molester etc was guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt.

• And also consider that when someone complains that much, why are they trying to distract from their own actions . . . doth protest too much my friend….

Randy,

What? So everyone who has an opinion about sex offenders has something seamy to hide?

Does that apply to all subject matter? So if I protest against, let’s say, capital punishment, I am an executioner at heart?

(shaking head in puzzlement)

I know, right? I think people who leave long, stupid, nonsensical comments on people’s blogs about how they shouldn’t want sexual predators to stay in jail are the one’s with something seamy to hide.

I’m not sure about the states, but we have here a designation of dangerous offender that can be applied to certain people meeting criteria about the types, number, severity, and so on of their crimes that allows them to be kept in prison well past their sentence, and I believe they must be reviewed on a regular basis so it’s not quite just throwing away the key, which makes it more palatable. I can’t say I’m sorry to see a predator kept from people he might victimize, not at all. It’s just a shame it costs so damn much to keep them there for life.

• Kay says:

I agree – while there are many non violent, probably shouldn’t even be in jail inmates serving out full and extreme sentences, child molesters and rapists get off far too easy.
    While there are “grey” areas (such as 2 drunk teenagers, both unsure of what the other’s wants or intentions are, for example), in the majority of cases of sexual assault or pedophiles – there is NO excuse for re introducing someone like that into society. It’s a danger to the innocent people they’ll be coming in contact with.
    Island surrounded by shark infested waters sounds wonderful to me – but then again, so does castration.
    Just a pet peeve (to put it mildly) of mine. They obviously couldn’t or wouldn’t control themselves before, what makes us believe that they’ve actually changed, given the recidivism rates of molesters and rapists? It’s time to open our eyes and realize that some crimes besides murder DO deserve life sentences.
    Once they commit that crime, I believe it’s no longer about THEIR rights – it then becomes about the victim’s rights. And THAT is what’s important.

Embezzle money or cheat on your taxes and you’ll do more time than you would if you raped someone. Our country’s values are all screwed up.

• mojavi says:

3 out of 5 girls are molested! 3 out of fucking 5!!!! and 2 out of 5 boys!! all I can say is whoever they are, will serve time eventually IN FUCKING HELL!

Never allow your children to sleep over ANYONE’s house right of passage my ass!

I always worry about letting my 8 yr old daughter sleep at someone else’s house. One good friend of hers has a teenage brother and while I have no reason at all to suspect him of any untoward thoughts or actions where my daughter is concerned, I can’t help but worry just a little bit when she’s over there.

• Kelly says:

Absolutely agree. Couldn’t agree more. I know that those sex offenders are somebody’s baby and that some of them are victims themselves, but life is not a problem as far as I’m concerned.

You victimize a woman or GOD FORBID a child and you could somehow earn the right to walk free? Even saying it sounds wrong. It’s wrong. Good-bye. Raise my taxes, keep them in a looney bin. Good-bye perv.

• Amen. I have no sympathy for those people. They can’t be cured or rehabilitated. I get email alerts when one of them moves into my area and I memorize their faces so I can steer me and my kids clear, should I ever meet them on the street.

• michael pratt says:

let them rot!!!

• Sabrina says:

I agree a hundred percent. The fucking system here is fucked up! I have a father that molested me when I was five or so and I remember it all. It has affected me for the rest of my life. His pregnant twelve year old molested me also repeatedly. For that I have issues that will be with me forever! What the fucked up thing is that he got away with it!!!! He didn’t go to jail or be rejestered as a sex offender. They claimed paper work messed it up and now his has been free this whole time to do as he please. They really have no concern for chilren and victims at all!!!

• Jewell Beeck says:

Thank you for all of your efforts on this web site. Kim really likes working on investigations and it’s simple to grasp why. We notice all regarding the lively method you render both useful and interesting solutions on this web blog and as well foster participation from people on that issue while our own daughter is actually becoming educated a whole lot. Take pleasure in the rest of the year. Your carrying out a useful job.