Walt Disney is Turning in His Grave *whirrrr whirrrr*

Posted by on March 31, 2009

(Actually, Walt is turning in his cryogenic chamber thing and you can bet when they finally thaw him out and bring him back to life, he’s gonna be pissed about this)

Every now and then, I feel the need to acknowledge the things I don’t understand. At the top of the list is Disney Eggs. Yes, I said Disney EGGS. Like chicken eggs. With Disney characters stamped on them. Am I the only one who finds this incredibly (and edibly) surreal? And really, just WHY? Are they supposed to be collectible? Heh. Or served whole so kids can see the characters stamped on them and get all excited about eggs?  And since when does Disney dabble in agriculture?

Maybe it’s one of those bizarre licensing agreement situations, like Hannah Montana and High School Musical macaroni and cheese (seriously…I bought some because I knew nobody would believe me), where you have to wonder…WHO SIGNED OFF ON THIS??? Because it’s just dumb.

Anyway, I’m probably the last person on the planet to know about these, in which case, forgive my ignorance. It’s merely a case of my studiously avoiding the Disney channel—and clearly, if this is what they’re selling, I’m 100% correct in doing so because again…DUMB.

Would you buy these? (And I’m asking all you normal people out there, not the folks who obsessively hoard Disney stuff)

Mouse eggs. There’s something terribly unsettling about that.

I had an “A Team” stamp in the character of Hannibal (George Peppard). I wish I could find it. Then I could make Hannibal eggs, but the kids would be all “Who’s that cigar smoking old guy on our eggs?” and I would be all “Clearly the irony escapes you.”

Thank you Disney for opening my eyes to the whole new world of eggs combined with the beloved craft of rubber stamping. The possibilities are endless. I’m breaking out my Hello Kitty stamp set right now. Crap. I’m out of eggs.

Mouse eggs. There’s something terribly unsettling about that.

Mouse eggs. There’s something terribly unsettling about that.

Mouse eggs. There’s something terribly unsettling about that.

• heels says:

NO. Though I have purchased fresh eggs from the farmer’s market because they were green. They were so pretty! They were also delicious.

My son would get a kick out of that Mickey egg-shaper-thingy, though.

• RockyCat says:

Disney eggs? Now that’s just weird.

RockyCat’s last blog post..Scarred for Life

• mayopie says:

At the Disney Board meeting:

“Park attendance is down, dvd sales are steadily declining and merchandise sales are down 40%. What are we going to do to right this ship?”

“Eggs,” said moron.

“Eggs? I’m intrigued. Tell me more,” said original moron.

“Well, we take eggs, and we stamp disney characters on them,” continued moron.

“So, let me get this straight. We take eggs, and we stamp disney characters on them. Brilliant,” said Original moron.

“Sir, I’m not sure that’s what we need to…” said a non-moron.

“You’re just being negative,” said moron.

“Typical, bash everyone else’s ideas and propose none of your own,” said original moron.

“No, it’s not that, ” said non-moron, “it’s just that, while my kids love Disney, they don’t even see the eggs until they are on their plate and cooked.”

“Well, can’t you show them the eggs before you cook them?” said moron.

“I suppose I could… but I still don’t…”

“Don’t what? Don’t want to spend more time with your kids?”

“No, not at all… I just think that they really wouldn’t care that…”

“That you hate them for not buying them Disney eggs? I think they would care. What kind of father are you?”

“That settles it then,” said original moron, “Marsha, you get Eggland’s Best on the phone. Stan, you get R&D on a machine that can stamp eggs without breaking them. Good work, everyone. I’ve got a great feeling about this.”

• WaltzInExile says:

Just when I think the franchising/partnerships can’t get any more out of hand (said the woman whose children BEG for Pokemon macaroni and cheese boxes)…along comes WTFery of such high order (low order?) that it makes me realize I’m unimaginative.

WaltzInExile’s last blog post..Waltz In Exile

• Marisa says:

Ummm, no. I don’t feel there’s a need to have kids EAT marketing gimmicks. It feels dirty. And not in a good way.

• Jennifer says:

That’s just stupid. The mickey-head shaped thingy though, that’s fun.

• Now that is just ridiculous, Disney eggs, huh. I love all things Disney but I certainly wouldn’t buy them.

• Tracy says:

Uh… I guess if my child were on a protein strike, these could come in handy.

• SciFi Dad says:

Not the eggs, but the iconic egg mold is kinda cool.

SciFi Dad’s last blog post..Munchkin At Four Years

• No to the eggs with stamps on them. But I don’t have kids and can still see myself using the egg ring thing even if it was just to freak out my other half. I should add that I have no kids so it would only be to make the mickey eggs for grown ups so you probably want to disregard my opinion!

12ontheinside’s last blog post..12 On The Inside

• Zandor says:

I have never heard of that before this post. I don’t really like eggs so I wouldn’t use this, but even if I liked eggs I don’t think I would like this.

• If Disney is dabbling in agriculture, I’m more than scared, I’m down right frightened. What’s next Mickey Mouse Broccoli Ears? Donald L’Orange?

Wait… that last idea is kind of cruel… I think I’m going to try to sell it them.

BTW – yes yes Mayopie needs a blog.

What if the eggs are laid by eerily realistic animatronic hens?

What if the eggs are laid by eerily realistic animatronic hens?

What if the eggs are laid by eerily realistic animatronic hens?

What if the eggs are laid by eerily realistic animatronic hens?

• Christie says:

That is just all kinds of crazy. There was a House Hunters a few years ago that had this Mickey Mouse fanatic on it. E.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g was Mickey Mouse. Seriously. Every room of the house was full of stuffed Mickey’s, posters, pillows, blankets, furniture, bedding, you name it, that psycho had it.

• Musing says:

No. Just…no.

• Hannah says:

Man I hate all this Hannah Montana, Jonas Bros, etc crap!

What happened to quality stuff like Lady and the Tramp, Fantasia, etc?

I’m not hardcore on Disney but the descent to pissy mediocrity is dreadful.

Hannah’s last blog post..Brightest Blue

• can’t let me daughter see this. I have a hard enough time with my “mouse pancakes” on saturday morning as it is. can’t take the pressure…

• Amanda says:

um, no I’m not buying into that crap.

• Becky says:

I want the shaper thing. I actually saw it at the store at Disney and would have picked it up but I couldn’t see paying more than a buck or two for something I could make with a squirt bottle and some pancake batter. Judging by the reaction I got making butterflies and a bear, the mouse mold would go over great.

Eggs, though. My kids would probably want to keep the damn shells. I keep finding little stashes of clementine and banana stickers all over the house, I shudder to think of what this place would smell like with a stash of rotting egg shells in each room.

That is just bizarre. I haven’t heard about that… And I’m of the opinion that your kid should be able to at least eat food without Disney getting involved – it’s bad enough we have a set of Mickey plate / fork / spoon that was given to us!

kittenpie’s last blog post..Biscuits in the Oven

• The Caffeinatrix says:

Hey C!

You have a fan:

“BTW, who is mayopie and does this person have a blog? Because that is one of the funniest comments I’ve ever read!”

Scroll down to see Jennifer’s comment.

You AND your sister should both have blogs, IMHO.

Thanks for coming by :)

• The Caffeinatrix says:

It feels dirty. And not in a good way.

lolololol thanks for the laugh ;)

• The Caffeinatrix says:

They probably sell those at Downtown Disney. My kids are fans of le scrambled eggs so no cool mouse mold for me (wait…that sounded wrong)