Facebook Friend Request FAIL

Posted by on February 27, 2009

Why do people turn into such buttheads when they become famous? Someone I knew fairly well years ago went on to become a big fish in his particular pond and on more than one occasion, I have been standing within feet of him, within HEY-I-TOTALLY-KNOW-YOU distance and not a single word of acknowledgment from him.

Of course, I must seem like an asshole to famous people because I won’t fawn all over them—but why should I? If you sit on a toilet every day and take a crap, you’re no better than anyone else. End of story. So I guess being ignored was supposed to be some sort of punishment for my refusal to pee myself over being in his presence?

Whatevs. It was a long time ago. Amongst other things, I now raise children, the future of America—you know, the people who will be wiping our collective asses when we’re old and demented? I just can’t bring myself to care all that much about fame and celebrity.

Anyway, it so happens this person friend-requested me the other day on Facebook. I’m truly dumbfounded because what? NOW you want to be my friend? NOW you want to acknowledge my existence? Seriously?

Well, from what I’ve heard, you’re still a big doucher.

Friend request FAIL!

• leah says:

i am similar to you in the fame department, unless edward norton and some others came to my house i’d probably squeal with excitement. i would only show the love if i felt it.

as for the FB thing, i had a person friend me that i didn’t know very well and thought maybe she wanted to be better friends (i know her in real life).

she doesn’t, so i’m not sure why she friended me unless she just wants high numbers in her friend corral. i guess that is part of human nature for some people.

leah’s last blog post..daily piglet

• Mirinda says:

I just had the BEST giggle! Each and everytime I hear someone go on and on about a celebrity I love to point out that they sit on a toilet and take a crap just like the rest of us…so when you think about that they just seem like what they are: normal folks no better than the rest of us! I especially like to point this out to men about Angelina Jolie!

Facebook dumbfounds me in that folks will friend request you when you are most definitely NOT friends…as in they never had the time of day for you before. I think they just want their “friend” number to be high!

Mirinda’s last blog post..mirinda’s monologue

• heels says:

I’ve just never been able to work up enthusiasm for the whole “fan-girl” thing. It’s like “Hi! I’m a person, too! What EXACTLY makes you so much more special than me?” I like people who I’ve found to be genuinely nice people, not because of fame.

• Sparrow says:

I don’t know any famous people, but I do get some odd friend requests on Facebook. They’re from people who had absolutely nothing to do with my lame ass in high school but who now are either nosy, nosy, nosy and want to know about my life via Facebook or who get a rush out of seeing their number of Facebook friends climb. Either way? IGNORE. And FAIL!

Unless, of course, I feel equally nosy, nosy, nosy about them…:)

Sparrow’s last blog post..Video Thursday

• Cara says:

I generally am not impressed with celebrities. Of course, when I see one of them in person, it’s a whole other story. I’m not going to throw my underwear at them or anything, but I have a hard time acting normal.

The big question: Did you decline his friend request?

Cara’s last blog post..Friday Top 20: Random Things

• I get this – and I’m weird with that celebrity thing – hard to explain but I can’t stand it when they need the fawning. FWIW, when it’s a Facebook Friend Request from someone who’s like that in person, imo they are doing it for show (know what I mean?).

• Faiqa says:

So. Does this mean your NOT going to name drop and tell us who it is??!!

• Trav1sty says:

I am the same way as @Sparrow when it comes to facebook. I can’t tell you how many requests I’ve had from people I knew back in HS that I really have no desire to be friends with. These are the same people that keep me from wanting to go back to reunions.

However I am a nosy person so I just throw them on the most restricted profile possible and go on with my day. I don’t wanna be “that guy” after all. :-)

• Ooooo, I read someone’s blog that knows someone famous. Will you Friend me? *snarky grin*

Desert Songbird’s last blog post..Anyone Seen My Sanity Lately?

• Fame goes to people’s heads, although I don’t understand it. I mean, if you are the kind of person who digs fame, why WOULDN’T you want to talk to every single person you knew before you were famous because, hey, now you’re famous and it’s what you always wanted, right?

What I hate are the folks who ARE NOT FAMOUS and who CANNOT PRETEND FOR ONE MOMENT THEY DON’T KNOW YOU and yet won’t acknowledge your existence in a social setting. That chaps my ass. Next time I’m going to say to a particular woman who does this to me all the time “Oh, yeah, I was sorry to hear about your cataracts. I guess that explains why you aren’t making eye contact with me tonight. It must suck to go blind.”

• Sabina says:

Three years ago when I joined Facebook, it was nothing (Well not in my country anyway!) Now everyone considers Facebook to be somewhat a real action (including myself occasionally)

My friend was going crazy because she added her bf’s sister and never got accepted. She couldn’t sleep for days, now that’s a bit too much don’t you think?

You’re right, celeb or not, they’re no different from anyone! We are all living under the same moon and sun hello?

• I’m just glad you got to use the word Doucher in a post.

That fucking rocks.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah’s last blog post..Yes, I said Elephants and Butts

• patois says:

Damn, that must have felt good.

patois’s last blog post..The Weekly Wonderings #98

• Blowing off celebrities on Facebook? You rock it girl.

• Mia says:

I too have a hard time slobbering over people. I don’t slobber. Unless someone is waiving Mexican food under my nose and I’m pregnant AGAIN! But since that’s never happening again, I’ll go back to I don’t slobber.

Mia’s last blog post..Friday Funny

• Hannah says:

I agree and am definitely not a psychophant and hate all this celebrity obsession B.S. It sounds like the guy is a jerk and only ‘facebook friended’ you to try and get his number of friends up to look cool. Sad and you deserve better.:)

P.S. I tagged you in the great blogger award. Go to my blog for details.:)

Hannah’s last blog post..Brightest Blue

• nicopolitan says:

As a musician, I can tell you fame is a plague among us. I hate it when attention gets to people’s heads.

And as a male I’m not sure I’m able to support the BlogHer thing, but I’ll be sure to spread the word!

nicopolitan’s last blog post..Some Rights Reserved

• roo says:

Part of my job involves making costumes for famous people, and fitting them– if you ever need confirmation that celebs are just people, stand around them when you’re in clothes and they’re in their underwear.

Here’s my theory–
    There are celebrities who are kind, thoughtful people,
    and then there are the overwhelming numbers of narcissistic jerks who may act nice until they get the fame they’ve always sought. Once they have it, it’s their excuse to let their true colors fly with relative impunity.

Douchie Mc Doucherton probably wants to be famous on line for his sheer number of Facebook friends. Too bad for him….

• raino says:

i agree. he’s no different than you or i.

raino’s last blog post..The Fur People

• Stacy Quarty says:

I agree with the consensus- this person just wants a big friend list to build his ego. Maybe he’s not feeling too celeb-special these days.

• Chris says:

I’ve noticed, living here in LaLa land that people who have this overwhelming desire to be in the limelight and be famous for something have so many character flaws and so much insecurity that behavior that you and I would consider normal is actually quite difficult for them.

Chris’s last blog post..Time Traveler

• Dory says:

I hear ya. I don’t like ignoring friend requests, but if you’ve never acted like my friend, then why would you even request me?

I will admit within the confines of this comment section that in the last couple months, my facebook time rivals my google reader time. ;) And my house friggin’ barfed like it ate a bad enchilada in Mexico City. It’s not pretty. But I’m pretty sure that’s just a coinkeedink.

Dory’s last blog post..Can’t Remember Diddly!

I’m glad to be on your friend list and that I don’t have to share space with that douche.

• What a great post! I was just venting my frustration today with a similar issue. I worked with an editor (I free-lance) for three years – and I mean I worked for her when the pay was nothing and when she needed stuff done ‘yesterday’ – and now that her publication is going better she won’t acknowledge my emails or maybe respond weeks later. Even after she’s asked me for an assignment. I mean seriously, that is no way to treat people. She has the monopoly in the particular market so I hate it.
    Sorry didn’t mean to go on, but really, I can’t stand people like that.
    I’ll be at blog her and heck your room – hope you come to my panel :)

• I meant check your room!

• Ha, I definitely have a love hate relationship with facebook…brings the weirdest people back. I hope you got plenty of satisfaction hitting “ignore” on the douchey celeb :).

To be honest, I don’t bother friending or following someone unless I know them or once liked them enough that I think I might care to reconnect – but generally, most people, I figure if I cared, I wouldn’t have lost touch in the first place, you know? So I’m sure there are people who think I’m an asshole for not adding them, too, but, well, I just don’t know them well enough.

• Stella says:

I don’t see why people fawn over celebrities. If you think about it, most not all are depressed, become drunks or druggies because they’re depressed, kids divorcing their parents.. it’s just non-stop madness in their lives. I certainly do not wish to be them. I, myself, am a mother and rather focus on raising up my daughter on good morals.

• Caffeinatrix says:

I just ignored it, which I guess he will eventually interpret as a big fat NO!