The Unsung Hero of Last Weekend

Posted by on February 12, 2009

I was going to do the obligatory post-conference recap but really, other than to say I had got loads of lovely sleep, froze my ass off, ate way too much meat, had a lot of fun with my peeps from thebadtable and beyond, met an awesomelicious new friend, enjoyed all the panels and got some cool stuff, what else is there that would hold your interest for more than two nanoseconds after reading the words “BlissDom09 Conference“? I’m going to take a wild guess and say…not much…because if you were there, you already know it was a good time and if you weren’t, you don’t want to know what you missed and/or don’t care. Am I right?

The REAL unsung hero of Feb 5-8 is my husband. Seriously. Here’s why:

When I got home, my husband had the whole house clean. Like super clean.

And I was a cranky bitch. (in my defense, I started my period the next day)

Anyway, he gets total props because on Friday, he went to lock the door when leaving with the kids and the tumbler and associated screws, springs etc fell right out of the lock and onto the ground. This means he and the kids were locked out. Good times, right?

Before he could fix anything, he had to drop my daughter and son off at a friend’s house to play and then he had to go to Home Depot and get a new lock for the front door.

But before he could get back in the house, he had to break a lock on another door. Then he had to fix the front door lock and then go BACK to Home Depot to get a new (and MUCH BETTER) lock to replace the one he broke while breaking in and then come home and replace that one, too.

Then, same day, he had to pick up the kids, feed them dinner, bundle them up again and take my daughter to a Brownie meeting.

The next day he fixed the dryer which was broken and destined for the curb when I left. I was all ready to begrudgingly throw down for a new one but after some fiddling and general asspainery, he fixed it…for THIRTY BUCKS.

And then he cleaned the house so I wouldn’t have to come home to a disaster.

He dealt with all of that lock business without losing his shit AND fixed my dryer AND cleaned the house AND both kids were in tip top shape…no limbs missing or stitches or anything.

My husband rocks.

Thanks babe, just in case you’re reading this (even though you know you’re not allowed to read my blog :)

• That’s just like a man. They act like a shit from day to day, and then they do a big hairy, “Don’t you love me? I did all this for you” bit and we remember why we married them.

*grin*

Good for you, Janet. Kudos to hubby and his Mr. Mom abilities.

• He does rock! I came home to a clean house and kids still in one piece, however he failed to open even one backpack with TONS of homework that I had to scramble to get the kids to finish Monday morning.

Steph

Adventures In Babywearing’s last blog post..She Answers More

• SciFi Dad says:

Is he available for rental?

SciFi Dad’s last blog post..Assorted

• Jen says:

I would rather have this than flowers any day, just so long as they know that one weekend of greatness does not give them a free pass for a year.

• Faiqa says:

That’s so nice that you had a great time AND you came home to perfection. :)

• Chris says:

What you described doesn’t happen naturally in the wild. For most men, the locked door would have started a cascade of events including drinking binges, liquor store robberies, bar fights, and possibly deportation proceedings.

Chris’s last blog post..I’ll Take Bloated Crackheads for $200 Alex

• One time I took all the kids away for a week and came back to a spotless house and my office painted the best color ever (that he picked out). I love it when our hubs do things like that.

We’ve since moved and I’m thinking of taking the kids away again so he’ll paint the whole house….what do you think?

Mia of General Hysteria’s last blog post..The Strength in a Thimble

• Stacy Quarty says:

OK. So, who’s your nanny?

• Kelley says:

Dude is a superstar! Does he do online tutorials or those subliminal mind tapes that I can play while mine sleeps?

Kelley’s last blog post..The clean up begins.

• Mine slapped me on the ass and asked me to show him how much I love him.

EPIC marriage fail

Anissa@hope4peyton’s last blog post..When you don’t have anything important to say: Wordle

• 1) He sounds like a keeper.

2) I want to know who was at the bad table and how come I wasn’t at it.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah’s last blog post..Dropping Bombs Like Bockscar

• Sarah says:

Good man!!

Sarah’s last blog post..The Ladyrather Diary

• Cara says:

My husband only does all that stuff when he has been bad or wants something. Usually both.

Cara’s last blog post..Hair Today Gone Tomorrow

• Jerri Ann says:

I got to meet you once, just once. On Saturday night when I was going through the folks that I thought I had met, I realized that I only had someone introduce me to you on one occasion and I think I was blabbering so much I didn’t take time to grab on you and hug on you like I had wanted to…even if you did slap me.

Honestly, I wanted to be all up in your face soooo bad……

Man, you’re so lucky. Mine would have called a locksmith and we’d be out a hundred bucks. Plus, I would have to shop for a dryer when got back. And the house, would be HIS version of clean (a nice “crater” of clean floor space in the kids’ rooms with toys jammed in a neat circle all along the walls and under the bed). In his defense, the floors would probably be clean, but we’d totally be out of goldfish and frozen dinners.

• TB says:

Now you’re making me miss Jeff, who rarely cleans or fixes anything but I love him anyway. He’s been gone for over a week now but we’re meeting in St. Pete for the weekend today.

• patois says:

Wow, now that’s a Valentine’s Day card full of love if ever I’ve read one.

patois’s last blog post..Pinch Me!

• Jerri Ann says:

And I know I wasn’t blathering on like an idiot…..sorry….I really want to “chat” with you, but wow, I was like in sensory social heaven and I couldn’t help myself
    Jerri Ann

• Very impressive. A clean house AND he didn’t lose his mind. My husband often likes to pretend ‘he’s got it all under control’ when I am gone. But not this past weekend. The small people drove him batty. And he didn’t mind tellling me. So, he gets a great big ‘thank you’ for rounding them up and an itty-bitty ‘welcome to my world’.

• Holy crap that’s impressive! What I really want to know, though, is how impressive was the payback BJ? Oh, wait. That’s my life.

• Daisy says:

He’s a keeper, all right! Does he cook? At this rate, who cares?

Daisy’s last blog post..Ah, Valentine’s Day

• I’m so impressed, I’m speechless.

Mind you, I was impressed by the cleanliness of the kitchen upon my arrival back from Nashville. Plus all the limbs were in the right place, so I can’t complain.

Miss ya girl, really do.

• Man, maybe they should name the best-supportive-husband bloggie after your boo?

Any homecoming my baby gives me is more likely to be along the lines of Anissa’s welcome home ;)

Oh and it was pretty cool meeting you too. After coming back to cold KY weather I am thinking maybe I need to come to FL!

Lucie @ Unconventional Origins’s last blog post..7 things I learned at my first blogging conference

• VDog says:

It was awesome meeting you.

You are just a doll. And I mean that in a totally cool way. Totally.

• The Caffeinatrix says:

Oh yeah, the “unopened backpack when dad’s in charge” — I’m familiar with that!

• The Caffeinatrix says:

Yeah…when I heard the story, I was all “So how many new curse words did my kids learn today???”

• The Caffeinatrix says:

Why aren’t they like that when we’re HOME????

• The Caffeinatrix says:

Whoa! I’m feeling an infomercial and self-help product line idea brewing. I’ll cut you in since you inspired it ;)

• The Caffeinatrix says:

No way—that’s really romantic…in a Redneck Mommy kind of way!

• The Caffeinatrix says:

It was me, Anissa, Shari, Michelle (Lamar), Tanis, Catherine, Katie, Amy, my new friend Loooocy and others that I’m sure you know. We were loud and apparently mildly obnoxious—you should have been there, dammit!

• The Caffeinatrix says:

Now that you mention it, he might have wanted something but I was too tired to notice :-o

• The Caffeinatrix says:

We met in the lobby, right? I asked about your bum foot. Conferences are crazy like that—nobody ever leaves feeling they got to socialize as much as they wanted :\

• The Caffeinatrix says:

You’re gonna be, like, inches away from me!

• The Caffeinatrix says:

Yes, but I can’t guarantee he’d be nearly as effective seeing as you can’t give him nookie

• The Caffeinatrix says:

I just went to Lucia’s Angels. What a beautiful idea. Is it national or regional? I’d love to help out in my area if I can.

• The Caffeinatrix says:

Did you ever happen to see that episode of Oprah where the overconfident, jackassy, condescending husbands/fathers switch places with their wives for a weekend while cameras film everything? It’s priceless.

• The Caffeinatrix says:

The feeling is totally mutual. It was awesome to meet one of the coolest (and quite possibly the prettiest) chicks on Twitter!