Naked Statue Men

Posted by on August 23, 2008

Yesterday we were watching Rick Steves’ Europe. As you’ve probably already deduced, it’s a travel show about Europe. And in Europe there are lots and lots of museums that Rick Steves likes to visit and of course, edumacate us on the works of art contained therein:

8 Year old daughter: What’s so great about a naked statue man with no arms anyway?

Kid’s got a point…what’s up with all the half arms???

Incidentally, we had a naked man statue (arms intact) peeking out from behind some foliage in our tropical jungle of a backyard. Shut up — he came with the house. Anyway, for a while N maintained that he was scary because he was, she claimed, always looking at her. One day, he just keeled over and the back yard is now safe again; naked statue man can no longer watch us or bring harm to us with his naked statue man powers.

Hmmm. Now how to talk about not objectifying people while discussing that… I think it could be tough to explain the difference between celebrating and objectifying.

• Cathy says:

I love Rick Steves–that guy was smart to make a career out of vacationing in Europe. I couldn’t have a naked man statue in my yard.

• Oooh, I would be making all sorts of cute clothes for a naked man statue if I had one in my yard.

Alas, we’re more the Snow White and the 7 dwarfs type family. You are clearly more cool and cultured than we are.

• Girl, my hubby lives 400 miles away. If there’s to be any naked men in my backyard they better be HAWT and mowing that mess of weeds too.

• TentCamper says:

Naked, armless men … the powers they have are endless

• Aprylsantics says:

We also inherited statue with ours. A friend of ours told us to get rid of it because it would come alive while we were sleeping and hack us to death. We got rid of the friend.

• PAPA says:

iI’ve seen some of those Rick Steves shows and I always got the impression that the people he met thought he was a little OFF – like HE would be that naked statue staring at them in their yard. But then again, I don’t really see Rick Steves doing “naked.”

• Maria says:

I’d like to have a naked man in my backyard. With arms though. And soft hands preferably. And the ability to move. And a Scottish accent.

Yes. I’d like to have Gerard Butler in my backyard. Naked.

• Carrie says:

Statues always did creep me out – so I totally see her point!

• Mom101 says:

I personally would like to see the naked statue man series on the cartoon network late at night.

• Cynthia says:

I used to be afraid of statues coming to life when I was really little and the ones with no arms? What’s up with that? They’ll give them a little pecker and no arms?

• MLD says:

Naked is good but no arms??? What, exactly, can he DO naked then? LOL

• Reminds me of that old Waltons episode where Grandpa wins a statue at the church raffle. He named her Annabelle Lee after Poe’s poem and he’d gaze proudly upon her every night from the front porch. But Grandma hated old Annabelle Lee, you see, because she was so immodest — and looked just like Grandpa’s old girlfriend. Eventually Grandpa was forced to dump her into the pond (Annabelle, not Grandma) and she was seen never more.

• Signe says:

Knowing my luck and my kids, they’d treat a naked statue like a fun tree to climb. Though, I could see my daughter telling me to put underwear on him first.

• Jane Choo says:

I would like to see the naked statue man series on the cartoon network late at night.

• Nice blog, just looking close to some blogs, seems a fairly nice platform you’re using. I’m presently using WordPress for a couple of of my sites but looking to alter one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial operate. Anything in specific you would recommend about it?

• i love the acting skills of Gerard Butler. he is definitely a great action star.;~.