Where Did I Go Right?

Posted by on December 30, 2007

Yesterday, after way too many days in a row at home, I decided the kids and I needed to get out of the house without the huz. Having all four family members up in each other’s grills since before Christmas was giving everyone a bad case of cabin fever.So newly acquired toys and other shiny new distractions be damned, I gathered up the kids and off we went to the library. After accruing $12 in overdue fines last time, I’d learned my lesson and was intent on getting everything back by the due date. I mean TWELVE BUCKS! Do you know what I could have bought with twelve dollars? Okay. Not much. But still…you feel really stupid when you have to write the freaking library a twelve dollar check.

When we arrived at the library and exited the car, I noted a big plastic KFC bag filled with assorted fast food garbage spilling out of it and some other stray garbage from McDonalds littering the empty parking space next to us.

As I was getting P out of his carseat, I remarked to my daughter something along the lines of “God…people can be such pigs. Why can’t they just throw their junk in a trash can somewhere?”

I proceeded to get my books out of the car when my daughter said something that floored me:

“Mommy, I know this isn’t my stuff but I’m going to pick it all up and throw it away”

Holyshizzle!!!! I was so proud of her I could have cried. I mean this is a child who completely grosses out when I have her empty the bathroom trash can. She is repulsed by anything like that and yet she opts to pick up this nasty, disgusting fast food garbage that some douche left in a parking lot.

So we both pick pick up the trash which, I might add, is covered with ants. Both of her hands are full I’ve got trash in one hand and I’m holding P’s hand with the other while carrying about 10 lbs of books in bag on my shoulder. We gingerly carry it all to the trash can by the entrance to the library and dispose of it. Then we make a mad dash for the bathroom and wash our hands with LOTS of soap.

I know it doesn’t sound like a big deal but to me? This is evidence that I’ve done something right. Yay me! Yay her!

And TQ, darling? Just so you know how proud you’ve made me with your good deed — I’ve almost completely forgotten that you fibbed to me again the other day or that you had to have a time out at the park for being a turd to your friends. Love you, baby. Rock on with your good bad self :)

• All Adither says:

You must be glowing with gratification. I would be.

• Kelley says:

Oooh, you call your kids turds like I do! Such a wonderful descriptive word isn’t it?

Tell your fabulous offspring that there is a woman in Australia reading this right now to her daughters. And they are proud of her too.

Oh and thanks for the reminder. The library keeps sending me nasty emails to return some books. Apparently if I get them in by the 8th they will waive the $19 late fee…… methinks I should add that to my new years resolutions.

Kelley’s last blog post..HOT DA-YMN!!!

• That is so awesome. What a great gesture. I love those moments.

Julie
    Using My Words

• Diana says:

That is THE best feeling. Seeing a child you reared do something compassionate, and responsible all on their own… Oh, man! It’s like getting THE blue ribbon in mommy-dom! ‘Grats! You did good! ;)

Diana’s last blog post..I Resolve…

• Sweet stuff. It’s great when they do the right thing!

Fairly Odd Mother’s last blog post..The 10,000 Step Program

• She is such a sweetheart! But I am not surprised. She has a compassionate mama. You should be proud!

• BOSSY says:

You’ve done many things right, sister girlfriend. Oh, and the blog being down thing? Don’t even get Bossy started…

• bitsy parker says:

I did read the post because it came into my email via FeedBlitz. However, when I tried to comment it wouldn’t let me on. The content was so important that I saved it in my email to make sure I commented.

LOVE that your daughter has taken personal responsibility for litter. Ironically, my real life job focuses on educating children (6-8) about litter. The other part of my job is advertising to 16-24 year olds who never learned that littering was a bad thing. It costs lots o dollars to re-educate older kids and parents not to litter. If there were more parents like we could redirect that money to, say, healthcare!!

• Elizabeth says:

Your daughter does indeed rock! Touching ant-covered trash in a parking lot-ick.

I’m pretty sure Bluehost is freaking out because thousands of WordPress users just upgraded to 2.3.2 and their blogs went ka-BLAM, like mine did. Categories? GONE. Sidebar widgets? GONE. Most of the plugins I was using? GONE. Ability to get help from WordPress Support? NOT SO MUCH. And Bluehost is getting bazillions of CPU exceeds Quota errors from everyone running these bad scripts. It is BAD. Table for Five looks okay on the page, but underneath? It is NOT GOOD. Happy Freaking New Year :)

Elizabeth’s last blog post..I have some serious thanking to do.

• Christine says:

Wow…that’s awesome. I don’t know that I would have picked it up…I’m lame and squeemish.

Every time I write a check to the library, I make a joke about this being a voluntary contribution…I have yet to see a librarian crack a smile.

Whatever happened to the January Con? I lost touch when we moved…now I’m totally out of it and don’t even remember how to access the group. Yikes!

• Aprylsantics says:

I’ve made a few donations myself.

Great job, TQ and Izzy. Those moments of sheer morality can really touch you and make it all worth it–even though they may be wedged ever so tightly between those challenging ones.

Mine reminded me the other day that I had not completely screwed up in my parental role when she was going through some toys to give to charity. She was discarding a rubber, glow-in-the-dark, lizard (from Charles Fromage) and I suggested she give it to her brother, who still very much likes rubber lizards. But, she said she needed to give it away because a poor child without electricity could use it as a night light! Either that’s compassion, or it’s a super creative way to avoid giving something to her brother. I’d like to think it’s the first one…
    Happy New Year!

• Nila says:

Good job mom! Kid’s are the best reflection of our best selves. Recently my son made me buy flowers for an old lady who wasn’t too nice to us recently. He keeps me in check.

• Daisy says:

It’s wonderful to see our children show us that they do know what’s right, they do know how to make a difference in the world.

Daisy’s last blog post..Starting the Blogging year with a Retrospective

• Baby Advice says:

Good job mom!!!!

Baby Advice’s last blog post..Teething Symptoms

• Actually, I could read this post through Google Reader; I just couldn’t click over to comment until now.

I think your daughter is making good headway. She’s a typical child in that she’s self-centered, and yet, her awareness beyond self is growing. Whatever you’re doing – keep it up!

Desert Songbird’s last blog post..Happy New Year/Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!

• Oh that is amazing. How gratifying. Your parenting skills have made a difference. Very inspirational.

I am a LITTER freak. The other day, as I was walking down the street with my girls, I watched a woman casually toss her cigarette out of her car window. I said, “Miss, do you mind if I throw your cigarette away?” She gave me a sheepish apology and then asked me for directions to the Holland Tunnel. I gave her the directions on the promise that she would throw her cigarettes in the garbage from now on. Seemed like a fair trade.

• MelissaQ says:

You see, who says a mom who calls her children turds, isn’t a good mother, you must have done something right. For a child to see and understand that a bag full of crap is not cute and pick it up, says alot about the way she is being raised. So, yeah, YAY YOU! And yay to all the moms out there who teach there kids to do the right thing! Oh BY THE WAY I JUST TAGGED YOU! Come read my blog to check out the rules.
    Keep up the good work!

• Karen says:

Awesome job Mama and TQ! That is fantastic!

Karen’s last blog post..It’s Time, SugarHubs. It’s TIME.

• LIzzie says:

Nice job Izzy!
    YOU Rock on with YOUR good bad self :)

Bask in that glow of awesome parenting -teaching by doing.

Happy New Year to You!

PS- thanks for pointing me to imeem .com – now I can share all the uncool songs that have been stuck in my head.

• Mom101 says:

I can’t imagine a better feeling to know that your kids have grown up to inherit your values. RIght now, I can only tell that my daughter has inherited my aversion to many vegetables.

• Sandra says:

I am not surprised your kids are so awesome and big-hearted with a mama like you Izzy.

Happy happy new year!

• FishyGirl says:

Happy New Year! What a great way to end a year. It’s always so gratifying to see evidence that they are getting it.

And library fines? Try $30. Yeah, serious slacker here.

• Good job, doesn’t surprise me about you at all. Your much stronger then you think..

My best,
    Dorothy from grammology
    remember to call gram

Dorothy Stahlnecker’s last blog post..My New Years Resolution

• Oh Izzy…so glad you told this story. We were on a perfectly lovely New York vacay with our kids last week and I called my 13-year old a turd. He deserved it, but I felt bad anyway. Now? Not so much.

• Mary says:

Right on! Good for you mama, I always love to hear stories like that. Our future isn’t as bleak as we think ;)

• dlyn says:

They always seem to know how to balance the good with the bad to keep us going “awwwwww”.

Something right, indeed! I love it when they do not just what they should, but even one step beyond.