Not to be a Sexist Jerk…

Posted by on May 1, 2007

But have you read about the “Women’s Town” Chinese tourist attraction? It’s a town where women rule and men get in trouble for disobedience. No, seriously.

The new motto of the town will be “women never make mistakes, and men can never refuse women’s requests.”

Hmmm. I wonder if they’ll ever franchise and open one up over here???

The article from Yahoo:

Chinese tourism authorities are seeking investment to build a novel concept attraction — the world’s first “women’s town,” where men get punished for disobedience, an official said Thursday.

The 2.3-square-km Longshuihu village in the Shuangqiao district of Chongqing municipality, also known as “women’s town,” was based on the local traditional concept of “women rule and men obey,” a tourism official told Reuters.

“Traditional women dominate and men have to be obedient in the areas of Sichuan province and Chongqing, and now we are using it as an idea to attract tourists and boost tourism,” the official, surname Li, said by telephone.

The tourism bureau planned to invest between 200 million yuan ($26 million) and 300 million yuan in infrastructure, roads and buildings, Li said.

“We welcome investors from overseas and nationwide to invest in our project,” he added.

The motto of the new town would be “women never make mistakes, and men can never refuse women’s requests,” Chinese media have reported.

When tour groups enter the town, female tourists would play the dominant role when shopping or choosing a place to stay, and a disobedient man would be punished by “kneeling on an uneven board” or washing dishes in restaurants, media reports said.

The project, begun in the end of 2005, was expected to take three to five years to finish.

Is that not the most bizarre thing you’ve read all day?

Edited to Add: There seems to be some misunderstanding that I am not aware of or don’t care about the women/human rights issues brought to light by this new venture.

Au contraire, people… Women/human rights are known to be poor in China. That’s a given. I do think the women who live in this particular town are lucky because they do not have to suffer as second class citizens as most women do in China and in countless other places around the world.

As for the men being submissive to women, I think it’s just the way things are there. I don’t believe anyone is forcing them to stay. In any case, the reason this area is being exploited for tourism is because the whole female-dominant scene, as a way of life rather than a source of sexual titillation, is an anomaly as well as a novelty.

• judy says:

I’ve been trying to figure out where to take my boys for summer vacation—if it were finished, that’s where we’d be heading!

• Very curious. I can’t wait to hear about it when it’s completed.

• Oh my – that’s hilarious!

• Oh, but it’s a little sad, too. Because by definition it implies that it must be pretty awful for women in the rest of China.

• Aprylsantics says:

So, uh, how do they convince the men to go there?

• MammaLoves says:

Is it bad that when I first heard that story I thought it was some dom/sub sex tourism they were after?

• No kidding… heading over to Travelocity to check airfare right now!!!

• amanda says:

Disturbing, yet oddy delightful when using certain males I know as the male tourists in my head. Did I just make it sound like I want a bunch of little men in my head? Beacause I don’t. Unless of course that would get me in front of Dr. House prrrrr.

• Oh yeah, I heard about this when it first opened. I thought it was hilarious, but also that it made a very loud statement on how women in general are treated in the rest of China.

• Interesting, but I’m just curious as to how they get men to stay there. And, you’d think they could come up with a catchier motto.

• Izzy says:

I think they might already live there with the dominant woman thing going on and China is just capitalizing on it.

• Izzy says:

I bet that demographic will definitely find the whole Women’s Town premise appealing

• Wow. I hadn’t heard of this before. I think we should get a “sister” city going over here. After all, the US can’t let China get more progressive, right? :)

• RWA says:

“…women never make mistakes, and men can never refuse women’s requests.”

Oh my.

I’m trying to figure out just how painful or irritating it would be to kneel on an “uneven board” for disobeying.

• Interesting. Makes me wonder what type of men they have around there. Call me crazy, but I’m not thinking it would be all that fun to push the boys around. It almost sounds like they are a bit like slaves.

However, that said, I would love to sneak a peek and see it for myself, just to marvel at the oddity.

As others have noted, it just speaks volumes about womens (and human) rights in China.

• Jennifer says:

I don’t even know what to say! How funny in the oddest sort of way. Is it wrong that I’d like to see this?

• wordgirl says:

As heavenly as it sounds, it would–unfortunately–never fly in Fort Worth, Texas. Such a pity.

• wordgirl says:

• Julie says:

So they are capitalizing on an existing culture?

And they think this will work and will attract swarms of tourists?

Don’t I wish! Yes, it is one of the funniest things I read today LOL.

• Amy Vierra says:

ha ha! I think thats great! Sign me up!

• Lisa says:

I want to go there! Where is it?

• Oh, The Joys says:

K would say that I think I DO live there.

• Becca says:

Strangely, I don’t find it appealing at all. I wouldn’t get any enjoyment out of ordering people around…

• Izzy says:

I agree. I don’t enjoy bossing people around at all.

However, I think the appeal is actually in the rather sad fact that in China, women are second class citizens. That said, for the average Chinese woman, it’s a very empowering situation to observe.

In this particular town, the female dominant scenario already exists as an anomaly. China is just promoting it to tourists because it is so novel. Again, a rather sad statement on the status of women in China…

• jennster says:

i love you! and i still come around! i have just been reading via bloglines and sucking at actually commenting! i heart you the miost and always will and miss you and wish i was going to see you at blogher, but i can’t think about it because it makes me sad to miss you and how much fun i had with you and how much i love you and well.. now i’m going to cry. happy???

• Mom101 says:

How sad when things are so backwards that they have to create an entire tourist attraction just to get men to act like humans towards women.

• This sounds like the same gimmick used at those “wench” places where the wait staff treat the customers rudely.

In the end, though, I think it just titillates the men – like a teacher or boss-lady fantasy. (You’ve been a very bad boy and bad boys need to be spanked!)

So much for women’s town.