Be Careful What You Wish For

Posted by on January 12, 2007

Be careful what you wish for because when you’re finally about to get it, you might find that it’s actually a very scary proposition and that maybe you’re not really up to it even though you’ve bitched and whined and complained and argued for it endlessly for almost a year and you know that you really do want it but when you think about it, your nervous stomach kicks in and you have to run to the bathroom and for a minute or two you are distracted by thoughts about your typically lazy colon and how great it would be if you were this anxious all the time because then you’d never have that uncomfortable feeling that prompts you to add Benefiber to everything you eat and drink (which doesn’t work worth a crap, by the way and no pun intended) and why the hell are you talking to the internet about constipation when what you really wanted to unload on them (again, no pun intended) were your fears about moving to the other side of the country (because if you were to move, that’s the only place your husband will go) and it’s still hard to think about leaving what little you have in the way of family, even though they’re all step-relatives, because you know they’d never waste a plane ticket to come see you so you know you might never see any of them again except maybe for a funeral or something and God, who wants to think about that as a reason NOT to move???

*deep cleansing breaths, deep cleansing breaths*

Yes. Husband has finally decided he’s ready to consider moving from here. What prompted this change of heart? Well, we just got our new homeowners insurance bill and it’s almost doubled even though we’ve never filed a claim and have not, in recent history, even HAD a hurricane in this part of Florida. Basically, we’re subsidizing all the dummies who live on the water, lose their homes in a hurricane and then choose to rebuild in the same place.

In addition to that, we just found out our health insurance is going up AGAIN and that for a family of four we’re paying almost $1000 a month now with a group plan. That figure could pay for a second story addition on this small house but no…we get to shell out all this extra money and we’re getting exactly NOTHING in return. It’s bullsh*t.

My husband makes good money. By definition we’re not poor. It’s our outrageous car insurance, homeowners insurance and health insurance that are eating us alive and we just came to the conclusion that we wouldn’t mind sacrificing that money if we were happier with where we lived but we’re not and it just doesn’t make any sense to shell out insane amounts of money so you can live somewhere in which you’re not happy. And then when you hear on the news that the summer of 2007 is going to be the hottest one ever, living this far south seems even less appealing.

So…I don’t know what happens next as I sit here and ruminate, half thrilled and half terrified, but I do know that the day before yesterday I was thinking about how if you really want something (like moving somewhere better), you have to focus more positive energy on it rather than thinking about all the negative stuff (everything I hate about Florida). It was just a passing thought but sort of epiphanous (is that a word?) in it’s simplicity.

Yesterday, Husband called me and told me about our health insurance premiums increasing and after a semi-long discussion, he said that he was ready to “do it”, meaning getting out of here. Wow…that positive thinking stuff works fast!

Yayyy!

Now what?!

• Well, I hope it works out.

Moving across country is something I so want to do…Hubs won’t budge.

Good luck. I’ll live vicariously through you.

• mayberry says:

wow… very exciting! Good luck and keep up those cleansing breaths.

• mamadaisy says:

i had the air conditioning on all last week. it’s made me fear next summer in florida.

good luck with the decision!

• Chase says:

Oh DEAR, how I know what you mean. I just, like, 4 days moved to another state…leaving the boyfriend, the job, and 100% of my friends behind. It was something I’d whined about for YEARS. Now that I’m gone? I soooo miss it. Already.

*sigh* One day at a time, yeah? Everything happens for a reason, right? RIGHT?!

It’ll be GREAT!! :)

• Oh, The Joys says:

Where would you go – meaning, what part of the west coast?

• NtycnBoricua says:

Hi there! New reader here. I also live in Florida, what part are you in? We’re building a new home, so I’m sure the home insurance will be very costly, now I’m scared to see it. Good luck on the move!

• tori says:

Please move into my neighborhood!!!!

On a serious note, good luck. I always think everything works out for the best in the end no matter how scary it may be right now. Change is good (although I constantly have to remind myself of this).

• mamatulip says:

Good luck, Izzy! We’re doing the same thing here.

• Good luck! We did it last year, and while I loved Tampa, I’m happy here.

• chris says:

Good luck on the move.

I am so ready to leave my overpriced state also, where I pay more in property taxes for my house than people in other warmer sunnier states pay for their mortgages.

• Michelle says:

Wow, big things in your future. Good luck, I’ve always thought Florida to be pretty low on my “places I’d like to live” list, but then what can you trust about someone who lives in a place that’s cold and dark six months out of the year? My credibility is low :)

• Wow. Good luck.

I’d invite to move to Boston, but things are probably more expensive here than in Florida – or the west coast.

I have to admit though, I’m glad I left, but sometimes miss Florida.

• alison says:

It’s expensive out here too!!! Make some comparisons before moving, and if you do decide to do it, San Diego is bee-yoo-tee-ful. We’d love to have you. :)

• Wow, that’s a big change! Where on this lovely coast are you thinking of? I suggest the Bay Area of Northern California, but that’s because I’d like to meet you in the flesh :) Congratulations / my condolences on your enormous news!

• margalit says:

The left coast is not a panacea for money woes. It’s outrageously expensive in the Bay Area, LA, and San Diego. Portland is getting to that point as well, as is Seattle. Most people in CA are leaving because they can’t afford to live there. A house could easily cost $800K for

• margalit says:

wow, that cut off right in the middle. I’ll email you the rest.

• javajabber says:

Don’t move to CA. We lived in beautiful San Diego for 30+ years. It was great in the beginning. We left because we didn’t want to continue to raise our kids in an environment of crime, gangs, drugs, freeway shootings, graffitti, high cost of living, especially utilities, etc.

So we moved to PA. Don’t regret it a bit. The cost of living was cut practically in half. We had more money to spend on the girls and could do more things together. Sure, we have to pay for heat now, but we were paying $600 a month for electric bills in CA and during the summers we had a lot of brown-outs.

Be careful who you pick to move you (moving company). I have some good tips on that when you’re ready.

Life is an adventure … but only when you’re in motion!

• Becky says:

Damn. I should have showered before meeting you for drinks, right?

• Izzy says:

We don’t have money woes. We have insurance woes, particularly since we pay among the highest rates in the country now.

Wherever we move, it will be for personal reasons rather than financial…

• Heather says:

Dude you should move here! We’ve got it all! Drab winters, freaking boiling summers, and early sunsets! No ocean to worry about! It sounds like a leap you really want and are happy to make, and I’m sure you’ll find lots of new friends wherever you land.

• Elizabeth says:

So, have you thought about where you would like to live? I’ve lived in Michigan my whole life and can’t imagine having to pick somewhere else to go. How exciting!

• Sherry says:

Ooh, that’s exciting!

Clearly I need to channel some of this positive energy thinking so we can get the hell out of here and move out East like I’ve been wanting for almost five years.

• Julie says:

We escaped the Hurrican Hike by—I’m not kidding—four houses. I know, how arbitrary? But the last two hurricanes caused them to re-evaluate the flood plain.

Anyway, I miss MA like crazy but have to admit, here is pretty awesome in its own way. So I’m glad—ultimately, usually—that we relocated. It’s probably been better, actually, were I to line up the pros and cons on a sheet of paper.

We also switched to a health savings plan (so far so good).

Good luck!

• dennis says:

wow, your husband says he’s ready to ‘do it’ and gets a great long blog that is full of excitement and energy!! (Congrats!!)

I tell wife.imp I’m ready to do it and she rolls over and snores…(ok it was rather late, but still…)

Yes, I am making up for lurking in a big, knuckle-dragging way!!

…i’m baaaaaack!!

• canape says:

I just put my house on the market. I’ll make you a sweeeeet deal. It’s tiny, the yard sucks, and there’s a great big scary black dog that lives next door. His owner walks him on a piece of thick rope. But hey, I tiled the kitchen. And put a spiraly plant on the porch – that I’m taking with me by the way.

Bonus: there are some great tatoo parlors here and a most fabulous shoe store ever. NC is pretty awesome if you stay in the city parts.

Wow – that’s a big step. I hope it’s a really good one for you!

• What an exciting, terrifying, confusing, and exhilarating time for you! It sounds as if you are making a good decision for the family as a whole. My husband and I have had this discussion quite a bit over the years, and with today’s latest news (he was laid off again — this makes #5), I’m sure we’ll be discussing this possibility again soon.

Good luck!

• piglet says:

yeah, florida is a hard place to live. i used to work in florida quite a bit as our corporate office was there. i had the opportunity to move there but i refused.

if you are up for it, the carolinas are a great place to live. we’re in driving distance to mountains, the ocean, etc.

• Jenifer says:

Heh. I actually thought about trying to talk my hubby INTO moving to Florida….. now maybe I’m glad i didn’t. (However I did get offered a job as a 911 dispatcher for DISNEY!!! ***sqeals in delight***, and I still think “protecting the magic” would be the coolest job EVER) For a husband who makes most of his money for the year plowing snow…..Florida didn’t seem too logical (even though this year we’ve probably gotten the same amount of snow as you ZERO).

Oh well….. GOOD LUCK! To where are you thinking of re-locating? I would recommend good ol CT where we are, but we have the highest taxes in the country! DAMN NYC and your closeness!

• joy says:

where are you moving? did I miss it? I am guessing it’s not Lansing, MI (boo hoo). It’s cheap here, but also pretty much boring as shit (and yet I love it so).
    I have the same running argument with hubs about moving to England. thanks for the headsup on the diarrhea. Good to know.

• Good for you.

Other than that, I’ve got nothing intelligent to add.

But if you come to the west side of the country, you’ll be much closer to me, and thus much easier to stalk in person….

LOL!

• QofS says:

My parents are leaving right where you are for the exact same reasons. The state is going to have to do something. Seriously. Everyone is leaving.

• RWA says:

Well, I hope you are able to find a place that you like – with cheaper, car, homeowners and health insurance!

• Silly says:

Can I please cast a vote for Portland, OR ? You will love it here….

Silly

• Jill says:

We would always welcome you out here in Silicon Valley!!! :)

Good luck…..
    Jill

• alex says:

Hey.
    We’ve just launched the CrezyLeaf FREE Web Directory.
    The submission in the directory is FREE and there are no additional fees.

We also offer special paid listings with higher visibility and many other advantages.

The Directory contains 20 large categories and 503 sub-categories. We accept any site as long as it complies with our policy. The submission time is significantly smaller than most directories (where free listings take up to 2-3 months to actually appear in the directory), the support is within 24 hours, and the submission process is extremely easy (takes about 1 minute).

URL : http://www.crazyleafdesign.com/webdirectory/

For Blogs we recommend “Computers -> Blogs” sub-category.

Thanks.

• Gidge says:

MAN we just met and now you’re leaving! Just kidding! I too am exploring my opportunities but mostly because I get effing downsized last Weds and am damn unemployed. It’s expensive enough to live here, much less live here without a paycheck!

Maybe we’ll move to the same place!

• Jenny says:

Good luck, chaquita! Change is good. Hard…but good.

• Jana says:

That is exciting! I hope the thrilled part takes over the half terrified side. It does suck to have to spend outrageous amounts of money and get nothing in return.

• motherofbun says:

Come to St. Louis! You will have TONS of friends here! Its a fairly cheap place to live (which means you’d probably could have a bigass house for what you pay in Florida), good schools and family friendly places. Course there is the hot summer and cold winters but good colleges too! And friends… Did I mention all of your blogger buts that live here????

I know you are thinking of living elsewhere… I just thought I’d “throw that out there….”

• Izzy says:

I’m so sorry! That really sucks. Are you planning on moving from Florida?

• Stacy says:

Hey- as long as you’re not forced to downsize, I think change is always good. Good luck. I could be a wonderful adventure!

• Chris says:

Good luck! I am insanely jealous. I’ve wanted to move back to Va. Beach or even Washington state, but Prince Charming just ‘loves the flatness’ of IL. GUH. Prince Charming my arse ;-)

• Mr. Fabulous says:

Now you have me nervous. I live in a non-hurricane portion of Florida too. I wonder what our insurance is going to be…

• TB says:

I know what you mean about the homeowners ins. and the health insurance and property taxes. Living in Florida and being self-insured it’s seriously like a second mortgage. Luckily, I am enamored of the weather so it makes up for it a bit.
    Good luck as you decide where and when to go. It’s an exciting time!

• Pendullum says:

How exciting… The world is your oysta!!!
    Looking forward to reading where you guys are thinking of moving to…

• Rashenbo says:

Cool! It’s exciting; it’s awesome; it’s an adventure! :) In 2003 we moved from Santa Fe, New Mexico to St. Paul, Minnesota…. That was surely a culture shock. I grew up moving around the country though, so moving isn’t really a big deal for me. You guys will have a lovely adventure and get to experience many new things (even if many of them will be frustrating and stressful!)

Good luck!

• You’re not one of those soon-to-be rich folks by the water who just sold their houses to the developers for kajillion of dollars?

If my hubbie had his way, he’d move to NC in a heart beat. We can sell our house here in Mass and get 2 houses down there. But he can’t afford to move the rest of my sibling and parents there. Hee hee.

• Jess says:

Wow, Izz! Keep us posted on the developments. Psst: it’s super-cheap where I live in Wisconsin. ;-)

• Lisa G says:

I am really excited for you. How fun. I would love to move somewhere new.

Lisa

• Sandra says:

Wow Izzy. That is HUGE HUGE HUGE!!!!! So very exciting. Congrats.

Hey … you could always head north … we’re mighty friendly here :)

• Aprylsantics says:

Yo! There’s always Georgia. Not too far away from Florida. Not too cold. Not too hot. Mountains to the north. Ocean to the east. Urban, rural, or somewhere in between. Some analysts say it will be the biggest city in the US by 2050 because it isn’t restricted by coast, large bodies of water, etc. Our insurance is not bad. The only thing that sucks is state income tax. Plus, your BFF is here! Thinkaboutit.

• Aprylsantics says:

Atlanta that is.

• Stephanie A. says:

I’m with Lisa about moving to St. Louis. She and I will be your insta-friends. Promise! Plus, in addition to everything that Lisa mentioned, we have wonderful ethnic cuisine (not kidding, at all)!

• Christina says:

Wow, that is crazy insurance! Good luck with wherever you decide to move. Ohio is nice if you like all four seasons, plus low living expenses. And right now the housing market is stalled, so it’s easy pickings for a good deal on a nice house.

• Kristi says:

Come to Idaho. It’s fun here. It is definately NOT Zero degrees at the moment. So don’t eeeven think it is. It’s not. Come to Idaho. I’ll be your friend.

• Nancy says:

Big news! Let us know where you’re headed. I will live vicariously through you — I love moving to new cities (though I do like DC, it’s the change I find fun.)

• Alexis says:

Hi Izzy. I’m new to your blog. And, I support you girl! I’m living the dream out here in Hermosa Beach. And, I believe (and have experienced!) that if you follow your heart, the universe will meet your needs. Much love, Alexis